Monday, August 4, 2014

Trip to Eldoret

Hello there,

Yesterday, which was Sunday Aug. 3 here, I spent a frustrating morning trying to connect up with Lois or Karen via Skype, which I finally managed to do by moving really close to the source of the intranet where apparently it is stronger and able to push my “bits and bites” across the internet to Portland. Then I heard from Karen that Lois had fallen during a walk and had to check into the ER to make sure nothing had been affected in her brain. Well that was pretty upsetting, but we will hear more today.

In the afternoon I repacked everything from my small carry-on suitcase into my big suit case because I no longer could distribute things over all three suitcases to make everything fit. Anyway once I was repacked, Wachira, our contracted guide/driver, drove me to the airport where I learned that my plane would be delayed. This worried me because I wanted to know so badly how Lois was doing and from last year I remember that the Internet access at the Noble Guesthouse/Conference center was pretty shaky. But there was nothing I could do about that now but wait, and so I tried to take a little nap, being still pretty exhausted from the long flight from Portland.

While we were driving to the airport Wachira told me that he was thinking of quitting his business because of the lack of work he is experiencing. This is mostly due to tourism being way down after the violent attacks on the shopping mall in Nairobi last year and the incidents and grenade attacks along the coast where the Muslim population is most numerous. There, the unemployed young Muslims are easily aroused and manipulated by the extreme elements in their community to begin to commit acts of terror. Anyway Wachira told me he has had no work for his business from February through June, and only for 5 days total so far in July and August, because the tourists are staying away in droves. So that seriously affects not only his business, but all the people that are working for him and in tourism, which is such a major part of the economy. I wonder how this has affected the Amboseli game Park.

The flight was quick and easy, only about 50 minutes, but since it was dark outside I could see nothing of the landscape below. Once we arrived in Eldoret I quickly collected my suit case and moved outside the secure area to meet Kiko, who will be my guide and mentor here. He was waiting for me outside with a sign with “Dr. Hans” written on it. Well, of course I immediately liked him! It feels good to be so deeply appreciated. So while this was a “good sign,” hopefully my students will still be impressed after I am through teaching here.

After checking in at the Noble, my worst fears were becoming true and though my computer tells me I am connected to both the intranet and the internet I can’t use Skype nor e-mail. So I spent a couple of very frustrating hours trying to solve it, even called home, which did not work either, so I finally went to bed exhausted. Woke up at 4:00 AM and finally got up at 5:00 AM and decided to take a shower. However, no matter what I did I could only get cold water slightly elevated in temperature out of it. So I finally took the plunge, which took my breath away, but then that is not much here at 8000 ft. elevation anyway.

After I got dressed I finally decided to give up on the internet and wait till Judy gets here Monday late afternoon and now I am writing this first e-mail from Eldoret. The question remains though, will I be able to send it out? I have also decided to try and write another e-mail about my first teaching experience today. Kiko will meet me after breakfast and help me set up the room. He told me I will have a minimum of 21 students so with Kiko, Stella and me, that will make 24. Should be an interesting class, but then a “doctor” should be able to handle that with ease right?

Have a great day,
Hans

No comments:

Post a Comment