Sunday, August 10, 2014

Nairobi: New Dawn #2

Hello there every one,

Well today was my big day to preach in Pastor Sammy's little church just below New Dawn inside the Huruma slum. We arrived just when the church's Bible study was wrapping up and later Pastor Sammy explained to me that the commentaries he received are really helping him in his teaching and preaching. He started both his teaching and preaching in Genesis and is now in Exodus chapter 32. When he was saying that a couple of elders were beaming with joy and saying yes, yes.

The service began with a worship team that was singing full blast so that I was sorry I did not leave my hearing aids at the guest house. Our team participated even at first, but once they warmed up they clapped and danced almost like real Kenyans. Then it was time for the Jr. Sunday School class to come forward and they did all kinds of "motion songs" as I call them. The only one I knew was from the Jamii video of last year--"Making Melody to the Lord." It was really fun to see the little ones sing and dance. Then came the Sr. class (the church is so small it has only two Sunday school classes for the kids) and they performed in song and dance, which was very attractively choreographed by their Sunday school teacher. I liked it a lot. It was fun.

This performance was followed by yet another worship team, this time a team that consisted of kids and adults that sang and danced till they lifted the roof, while we joined in and actually did not do too badly, though my leg muscles are clearly not what they used to be. The kids from the Sr. Sunday school class who participated in this choir were choreographed and performed so skillfully and in such unison they would be hired on Broadway instantly if they could see them there. It would certainly be fun to have them perform at West Hills. After this, Sanna and Lance performed capably, drawing quite an applause. They did West Hills proud! Then it was time for corporate prayer which is clearly very heartfelt and sincere.

Now it was my turn and so I was introduced by an elder who spoke Swahili and Pastor Sammy who spoke in English, They said some very nice things about me after which I finally could come up and begin my sermon. First, however I introduced my sermon with a greeting from the churches that sponsor Kizimani. I saw a Covenant pastor do this when I was in Magadan, Siberia, and then I realized the apostle Paul does the same thing with his letters to the churches. So I have been doing it ever since and it always amazes me how well it is received by the church we are reaching out to. Certainly that was the case here today, when I said: "Dear brothers and sisters in Christ. Before I get into my sermon I would like to bring you greetings from the different churches that have sent us here to bless you. Please know then that we care about you especially since we have heard about your hardships. But also we are sure that you will persevere in spite of the difficulties you face daily. And this perseverance will be yours because the Lord Jesus is at work in your midst and his Spirit protects, empowers and encourages you. So understand that we have come in the name of the Lord Jesus to bless you and to say we love you in Christ."

They really loved and listened very attentively, nodding yes, yes with big smiles, which confirmed I had made the right choice in starting with this greeting. I just love these people! They are so warm and kind, and smile all the time, while the little kids are just adorable.

My sermon was entitled "Jesus Anointed by a Sinful Woman" which you will find in Lk. 7:36-50. It ended up being liked very much by everybody. Since it would take me too long to type it out I will ask Karen to post it together with this message on the blog. [Note from Karen: I didn't see the sermon attached to the email, so I'll have to post it later when I get a copy.]

After the service was over we were asked to go to the "annex/kitchen" (which is Pastor Sammy's office) where the church had a meal prepared for us. This was again a way for them to say to us "Let's break bread or at least eat together," since they really love us so much. They are so honored that we come to teach them and worship with them there in that awful slum. It makes you feel very special. It was just too bad that we had to leave as soon as possible to shop for the team's trip to Kangundo on Monday morning. I will remain here all by myself on Monday but the educational team is driving back on Monday night as they will join me on Tuesday. So the good thing about this is that I will be driving with Richard and that will be fun.

After shopping for Kangundo, where Miriam's parents live, we went to the guest house where everything had to be parceled out to cover some 20 families that Kizimani supports. It is probably true that without this support, most of these families would starve. It is too bad that because of my teaching I did not see the incredible welcome and final performance at Jamii school and again I will not go to Kangundo, where the welcome is also a wonderful event. The women of the village come out and sing and dance around the micro-buses and make you feel like very special and honored guests. But then my teaching has its own rewards and I am really very happy doing it, because it is true that you get to feel totally one with these wonderful people.

After much packing and dinner at the guest house I went to my room to write this and go to bed because I am really done for this day.

God bless you all,

Hans

No comments:

Post a Comment